Moldovita Monastery was founded by Prince Petru Rares in 1532 as an offering to Christ, and his original throne and his portrait are on display. A fresco depicting ‘The Siege of Constantinople’ adorns the bottom of the southern wall, whilst above is the ‘Hymn to the Virgin’ and the ‘Tree of Jesse’.
A fine representation of the ‘Last Judgement’ is set in the open porch. The magnificent paintings, which are predominantly yellow in colour, have been carefully restored. The church is enclosed by bold fortifications and set in beautiful grounds, offering a real air of tranquillity.