The Turda Salt Mine is now a veritable history museum of salt mining. The excellent state of preservation of mining and machinery used to transport salt, together with the cautious work carried out for prepararing the mine to become a tourist attraction, have made history and legend meet harmoniously here. The increasing number of tourists arriving from distant geographical areas to visit the mine are a confirmation of interest and historical value.
Franz Josef GalleryIt was built between 1853-1870, it is a horizontal gallery made to cut the costs of salt conveyance to the surface. When it was finished it was 780 meters long, but till the end of the 19th century it was afurthered by 137 meters reaching the length of 917 meters. The sterile area ( dug in the earth)is 526 meters long and it is strengthened with a 40cm thick stone wall. On the left side of the wall is marked the length of it. The electrical system was installed in 1910.Between 1948-1992 it was used as a cheese storage room. During this time the water and waste pipes were installed.On the left wall of the gallery are placed pickets with equidistance of 10 fathoms.As tourist enter the in the mine the underworld reveal its wonders.
The Rudolf Mine is 42 meters deep, 50 meters wide and 80 meters long. The Rudolf Mine is the last mine from Turda where salt was exploited from. 172 steps lead to the heart of this magnificient Mine. Heading to the heart of the mine, on the walls is carved the year in which the salt was exploited.
On the N-W side of the sealing salt stalactites can be admired that formed through the years. They grow about 2 cm / year and when they reach the length of about 3 meters, due to their own weight, they break.The panoramic lift offers turists a whole picture of the Rudolf Mine.