The church of Viscri was originally built in 1100 by Szekely population and taken over by the Saxon colonists in 1185 while Szekelers were forced to settle further South-East.
This explains why this gothic church has a straight ceiling instead of a traditional vaulted one. In 1525 first fortification walls and towers were added. In the 18th century the church was surrounded by a second defending wall. Today Viscri is famous for the few traditional houses that Prince of Wales bought, restored and converted into guesthouses for tourists, contributing in this way to a better and sustainable future for people of rural Transylvania.